||This workshop is for high school students and yearbook advisers. For junior high students, we offer a Junior High Workshop. For college students, Balfour Yearbooks co-sponsors the National College Yearbook Workshop.
||Fri-Sun, July 17-19, 2020, cancelled, to prevent spread of COVID-19
|Texas A&M University
- Comprehensive beginning or advanced yearbook or newspaper courses
- Advanced design coupled with software training
- Focused newspaper feature and personal column writing
- Intense editorial leadership training
- Beginning or advanced photography
- Multimedia & video editing
- Each staff will also receive a one-on-one 60-minute cover art session with one of our cover artists.
||During online registration, select one of the following for each participant.
- Yearbook 101
- Yearbook 201
- Editorial Leadership (Yearbook)
- Editorial Leadership (Newspaper)
- Integrated Design (Yearbook & Newspaper)
- Newspaper 101
- Newspaper 201
- Newspaper Feature & Column Writing
- Publication Photography
- Multimedia & Video Editing
- Adviser 101
- Adviser 201
||All students (except those enrolled in photography) will have the opportunity to attend two elective courses during the workshop. A complete list of available electives will be provided at check-in.
Below is a partial list.
- Modular Yearbook Design
- Secondary Yearbook Copy
- Yearbook Design & Color Trends
- News Magazine Design
- Media Convergence
- Photoshop, InDesign, and StudioWorks Training
- Photography for the Non-Photographer
- Media Law
- Capitalizing on Social Media
- Marketing to the Reluctant Buyer
|During adviser online registration, advisers should indicate (yes/no for your school) any desired "Enrichment Options" (select zero to four options). These options are for advisers and students.
- Publication Mentor Sessions
- Marketing Consultations
- Yearbook Critiques
- Newspaper Critiques
|Credit || This workshop is certified by the Texas Education Agency (TEA). Each attending adviser will receive a certificate for 24 TEA-certified hours.
Yearbook or Newspaper
$355 per overnight student
$250 per commuting student
Integrated Design or Multimedia & Video Editing
$435 per overnight student
$330 per commuting student
$395 per overnight student
$290 per commuting student
Overnight student price includes all fees, all meals, a double occupancy dorm room, and a workshop t-shirt. Commuting student price includes all fees and a workshop t-shirt. For commuting students, your transportation, hotel reservations, and meals are your responsibility. The price for Integrated Design, Multimedia & Video Editing, or Photography includes computer and software rental.
$250 registration fee (no charge if 8 or more students)
$145 dorm (meals, single occupancy room w/ linens) (optional)
$75 meal plan for commuting adviser (optional)
The adviser registration fee includes all instructional fees and a camp t-shirt. The adviser registration fee is waived if 8 or more students attend. Advisers may stay in a single occupancy dorm room or commute. All adviser dorm rooms have linens. Commuting advisers have the option to purchase a meal plan.
***** VERY IMPORTANT *****
Due to strict requirements from Texas A&M University, your workshop registration (including payment and roommate assignments) must be received by us no later than end-of-business-day Friday, June 19, 2020. Any incomplete registration (for student or adviser), including any registration not paid in full, will be cancelled. Also, no refunds will be provided for cancellations made after that time.
Brochure (658 KB)
Permission Form (365 KB)
(Documents above are same as what we snail mailed.)
||By registering online, your space will be reserved instantly. Online registration is available when the event date is near.